Sunday, April 19, 2015

Why cloth diaper?

Why cloth diaper?

Honestly, the thought to cloth diaper had never occurred to me when I found out I was pregnant. I didn't know the idea really existed. I just assumed I was supposed to use disposables. Well, because that is what everyone did. Right? And the hospital sends you home with disposables. So, that must mean that you need to use disposable diapers. Boy, how I was wrong!

It wasn't until later in my pregnancy that I was introduced to the idea of cloth diapering. My husband was actually the one to bring up the idea. His parents had cloth diapered him and his sister. He was interested in the idea to save money. I told him, I would give it a try. But, if it did not work for me then I was done. We did not start cloth diapering right away. Our little one, tadpole, as my husband calls her, was just that, a little one. She weighed in at 5lbs 12oz when she was born. It wasn't until she was about 3 months old that we officially started using cloth diapers. We were lucky enough to get covers, and pre-folds from the beau's sister. After just a few days of covers and pre-folds I decided that was not for use. I then went to the world wide web and did research on different kinds of cloth diapers. It was then that I discovered pocket diapers. As soon as I decided I wanted to try pocket diapers, a post on my news feed for Facebook showed up about a local momma who was selling some of her extra pockets. I decided, I would give it a try and bought 5 from her. After just a day of using the pocket diapers I was in love!! As soon as I was able I bought the reaming diapers she had for sale. Ever since then we have been using cloth diapers.

For about a month after I bought the pocket diapers, I still used disposables at night. Once I got comfortable enough using them, and figured out a night time solution to prevent leaks I was golden. I now 100% use cloth diapers. I even use cloth wipes. The venture to start out using cloth diapers was to save money. However, after doing research I now do it to save the environment, and to keep unnecessary chemicals away from my baby. Cloth diapering has opened my eyes to a whole new world. In just the few short months I have been introduced to a whole new niche, made friends who also cloth diaper, and feel good about it!! The amount of money we have saved has been great! The money that we would be spending on diapers we put towards something else. Such as savings, or house remodeling. 

The items I have in my cloth diaper stash are:
Pockets and enough inserts + a few extra for night time
3 wet bags for traveling with cloth diapers
Home made wipe solution
Cloth wipes
2 pail liners

1 step trash can that I use as a diaper pail

You can check out my cloth diaper Pinterest page by clicking HERE

If you are interested in learning more please feel free to ask. By no means am I an expert. But I will tell you what works and does not work for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment